Pages

Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Work can be funny

Working in an Emergency Department, can be stressful, VERY busy, emotional, frustrating, tiring but it can also be funny.


I work with some fantastic people, Dr’s, nurses, wardies, admin officers.

We all have our war stories, days where it was hideous, where there are people dying, where every time you look up your getting abused, when you’re so busy that time actually slows down.

Then there is the funny, see I don’t know why I work in a hospital, I hate vomit, sputum, smells, orifices, I don’t cope when someone dies, I hate being yelled at.

Some shifts though are just funny.

When a Dad comes in with a sprained ankle from riding a scotter and his kids are standing there saying “I told him he was doing it wrong”.

When I start dry retching, at the sight and or sound of someone else vomiting. (nursing staff think this is hilarious).

When you see an xray of a foreign object where it has no right to be and you wonder how and why, oh why would you. Then the patient asks for it back after it being extracted.

A very young couple coming in after some fabulously wild sex and him falling out of bed and breaking his arm. But then, having to explain how it happened to every nurse, Doctor, physio and xray person that he sees.

Have you ever presented to an Emergency Department?

1 comment:

  1. Too often and I think you and the people that you work with are amazing!

    It never ceases to amaze me what you have to see and deal with on a daily basis and I think you are cut from from very special cloth indeed.

    One of the ladies who volunteers with me at the Gifts' school tuckshop is a maternity nurse. It makes me giggle to see her dry retching over mashed bananas for the muffins when she sees & deals with so much that would make me keel over in a faint.

    My physio says he can do smells and vomit but can't handle snot, intriguing stuff indeed.

    Felicity xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing
Mel xxx